Who Has The Right To Work In Germany

You want to work in Germany? We will help you understand the laws and explain what documents are needed and where to go.

What requirements must be met to work in Germany depends on whether you are a citizen of the European Union, a citizen of the European Economic Union,a citizen of Switzerland or third countries.

EU citizens / citizens of the European Economic Union / Swiss citizens

A citizen of the European Union, has the right to move freely within the EU, you have unlimited access to the working market of Germany. Neither you nor your other relative have to make visa to enter Germany. (§ 2 FreizügG / EU)

The right for free movement and free permission to work also applies to citizens of the European Economic Union (Union members are the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. (§ 12 FreizügG / EU)

To enter you need a valid passport or ID card. Once you enter Germany it is necessary to register your place of residence ( In the period of 3 months).

Exept relatives and members of EU citizens' families who are not themselves citizens of the EU, EES and Switzerland - these people have to make visa to enter Germany and to work - a German work permit, which is obtained after entering Germany, the Migration Service of Germany will issue your permission to stay in the country. (§ 2 Abs. 4 S. 2 FreizügG).

Swiss citizens are free to work and travel throughout the EU, but must submit a special application Swiss-declaration of being in another country. (§ 28 AufenthV).

What Migration Service will be responsible for you depends on what part of the country, and city you will be located.

The EU countries: Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia , Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary and Cyprus.

Third-country nationals

If you are a citizen of the so-called third countries, ie, are neither a citizen of the European Union or the European Economic Union or Switzerland and want to stay in Germany, you have to obtain a residence permit. (S.Broschüre "Bildung und Beruf", Seite 7f).

If you want to work in Germany, you need a permit, which allows you to work, it is called work visa. For more information, even if you are not in Germany, you can obtain the work visa form the German Embassy or at the Migration Service. To obtain permission to stay in Germany and for work, you must meet certain criteria, for example, you must have a passport, you must have finances for the period of being in Germany. You must not be banned from Germany. The purpose of your stay in Germany, your education or work experience will decide what kind of resolution you can get to stay in the country.


Staff - professionals

If you:

  • received a specific workplace
  • meet the general requirements for a permit to stay in Germany
  • and if the Bundesagentur für Arbeit (State Labour Agency) agrees 

You can obtain a work permit in Germany. gem. § 18AufenthG

Highly specialist

As a highly qualified specialist in the particular circumstances, you can immediately get a permanent solution, so-called settlement permit. Especially prized highly skilled areas of science, teaching staff, with good experience and knowledge of its scope.